Yes you’ve heard it before mother of 4 starts new retail concept Boost Juice. It explodes she makes a bucketful of money and everything’s just dandy. Or is it? Being underestimated has been one her great strengths and has utilised all her natural abilities to achieve the unthinkable. Janine’s leadership style is natural, warm, giving and extremely demanding, that has created a high performance culture in her business, which has achieved amazing results. Janine Allis is Founder and Managing Director of Boost Juice Bars and Executive Director of Retail Zoo.
Janine is now sharing her knowledge with others, including through her a role as a “Shark” and mentor on Channel Ten’s Shark Tank, and as an Honorary Professor with the Macquarie Graduate School of Management.
Apart from her Directorship with Retail Zoo, Janine is a Director on the publicly-listed Michael Hill Jewelers, and was the first female director on the board of the Hawthorn Football Club. She is also the Best-selling author of The Accidental Entrepreneur, which is the story of Janine’s journey with Boost Juice.
Janine’s philosophy is simple – if she can do it, anyone can. “I still love getting up every morning and being a part of this great adventure. I’ll keep doing it as long as I love it and who knows where we could end up next!”
Janine has experience across a wide range of industries. Previously she worked as a publicist in the arts and entertainment industries, a cinema manager in Australia and Singapore, an advertising executive and as head stewardess on David Bowie’s yacht.
Being a working mother of four she is an advocate for healthy eating and living. With a hectic urban lifestyle in Melbourne, Janine understands first hand the demands life can put on an individual.
Janine’s desire to own her own business led her to look at the retail market and review what the market was lacking as a consumer. Janine and her husband Jeff trialed a number of businesses like publishing and touring comedians, but nothing truly got the business juices flowing. That was until they noticed there was a lack of truly healthy fast food in the market place. Janine did extensive research world-wide and started to develop a business concept that was different to anything else in the world. Her vision was to do retailing differently, delivering a unique customer experience based on the “love life” philosophy of Boost.
Janine is a perpetual student, surrounding herself with amazing business people and soaking up ideas like a sponge. One of her greatest strengths is her ability to see her faults and ensure that the people around her compliment each other to guarantee that the Boost leadership team is strong and built for success. “At the end of the day we have to try to keep life and business simple”, she says. “And enjoy the journey as much as the results”.
Janine is not your everyday self-made businesswoman. She grew her juice and smoothie empire in 2000 from her kitchen bench, to an international success story (Boost Juice Bars are now in 13 countries with two new brands of Salsas Fresh Mex Grill and Cibo espresso totaling over 500 stores).
But her path has been anything but ordinary.
“I’ve had no formal business training, just a simple common sense approach to business. I did not know what the traditional path looked like so I made it up along the way” she admits.
For most people, the formula for achieving success in life is to study hard, get good grades, get into a good business school or university and work your way up the ladder… Janine’s way was to work 3 jobs so that she could fulfill her dream of travelling the world and let life take her on a journey. This journey took Janine around the world where she took on roles from a nanny in a little village in France to working for rock and movie stars on a yacht in the South of France and the Caribbean.
She has a great passion and love for business which has translated from inception into sales of over 2 billion dollars globally. These sales squeezes and blends their way through thousands of tons of fresh fruit and veg every year.
Janine’s business approach has made her a leader in her field, with BRW listing Janine as one of the top 15 people who have changed the way business is done in the last 25 years.
Janine and her business have won many accolades along the way, including but not limited to:
• 2017 Inside Retailer Awards - Innovation Initiative
• 2017 Janine was recognised as a LinkedIn Influencer
• 2016 CSIA Award – Friendly Award in Food Category
• 2016 FCA Award - Franchise Innovation Award – Free the Fruit
• 2016 NRA Award – CEO of the Year Award
• 2016 NRA Award - Innovation Excellence Award – Free the Fruit
• 2016 QSR Media Award – Best Loyalty Program- Boost Juice Bars
• 2016 GOLD for Best Mobile Marketing Strategy at the World App Design Awards.- Boost Juice
• 2015 YouGov Brand Index 2015 Best Buzz- QSR Category Silver Winner Boost Juice Bars
• 2015 Australian Established Franchisor of the Year- Boost Juice Bars, MYOB FCA Excellence in Franchising Awards
• 2015 Australian Established Franchisor of the Year - Boost Juice Bars, MYOB FCA Excellence in Franchising Awards
• 2015 Excellence in International Franchising - Boost Juice International, MYOB FCA Excellence in Franchising Awards
• 2015 Franchise Hall of Fame Inductee - Janine Allis, MYOB FCA Excellence in Franchising Awards
• 2015 Golden Key International Honour Society - Honorary Member – Janine Allis
• 2015 The Australia Awards for Excellence in Women’s Leadership: Victoria - Janine Allis.
• 2015 QSR Media Award – Best Loyalty Program - Boost Juice Bars
• 2015 QSR Media Award – Best Digital Initiative - Boost Juice Bars
• 2015 InStyle and Audi Women of Style Awards; Business Award - Janine Allis
• 2013 Franchise Council of Australia’s Multi Unit Franchisees of the Year
• 2012 Australian Export Heroes Award - Janine Allis
• 2012 Winner I Love Food Award
• 2011 Finalist BRW Fast 100
• 2010 Franchise Council of Australia International Franchise Award
• 2008 National Retailers Association Awards
- Training/HR Initiative Award
- Westfield Best Food Retailer Finalist (Boost Franchise)
- Individual Achievement Award (Boost Franchise)
• 2007 National Retailers Association Awards – Bank of Queensland Franchise Award
• 2007 National Retailers Association Awards – Supreme Rewards for Best Retailer
• 2006 Government of Victoria Export Awards – Commendation
• 2006 Finalist National Retailers Association Best Franchise
• 2006 Dolly Magazine Favourite Youth 5 Minute Feed
• 2005 Price Waterhouse Coopers Franchisor of the Year Award – Victoria
• 2005 Price Waterhouse Coopers Woman of the Year in Franchising – Victoria (Janine Allis)
• 2005 AMEX Franchisor of the Year
• 2005 Finalist International Woman’s Verve Cliquot Award
• 2004 BRW Fastest Growing Franchisee
• 2004 Westpac Group Business Owner Award National Winner
• 2004 Westpac Group Business Owner Award – Victorian Winner
• 2004 Telstra Australian Business Woman of the Year (Janine Allis)
• 2004 Telstra Victorian Business Woman of the Year (Janine Allis)
• 2004 My Business Readers’ Choice Award
“Thank you so much for this morning – Janine is a true inspiration and I left feeling invigorated, motivated, and willing to say ‘yes!’. I hope that I can do amazing things like Janine. I would recommend (and will) this seminar/breakfast to anyone and everyone.”
Georgia Smith – Elders Limited
From Australian Institute of Management SA – Breakfast Seminar
"… people found Janine's talk interesting and relevant… she did a great job."
Australian Sports Commission