Creative Entertainment, Comedy
Not many people have moved Queen Elizabeth II to get out of her seat and give a standing ovation – but entertainer Raymond Crowe has. Raymond has earned a worldwide following for his unique work as an “Unusualist” and delivers a dazzling combination of comedy, shadow art and magic. He is remembered long after his act finishes for his ability to take traditional variety skills and give them a modern edge with a hint of irony.
He is without doubt one of Australia’s most valuable exports and is highly sought after for his ability to move people from all ages and walks of life.
When Raymond’s hand shadow work to the tune of Louis Armstrong’s “What A Wonderful World” found its way onto YouTube, it attracted millions of hits and earned Raymond an instant global fan base. This led to headline acts in Las Vegas and appearances on talk and variety television programs around the world, including the David Letterman Show and the Royal Variety Performance.
In the biggest compliment of all, after watching this infamous routine the song’s co-author George David Weiss sent Raymond the sheet music with a hand-written note addressed to ‘the world’s most wonderful puppeteer’.
Raymond also had the honour of being chosen by his peers as the only Australian on the list of the world’s Top 20 Magicians and continues to leave audiences around the world gasping in wonder at his artistry and deeply creative mind. He’s received accolades from US comedian and actor Steve Martin, and closer to home Australia’s renowned musical quiz show “Spicks & Specks” recently chose him as the show’s best “End of Program” entertainment of all time.
Raymond also learned this year that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery when his famous routine was copied by a contestant on “Thailand’s Got Talent”. This attracted national media attention in Australia, with Today Tonight running a story on Raymond’s reaction.
2011 has seen Raymond’s star continue to rise, with performances already clocked up in Rome, Athens, Fiji, Singapore, the US and New Zealand. Over the past few months Raymond has taken his show to country Victoria and far North Queensland, finishing up in Mackay as part of the 2011 Mackay Festival. He recently completed a South Australian Country Theatre Tour, delighted audiences at Jupiter’s Casino Gold Coast and performed at high profile corporate functions in Perth, the Sunshine Coast, Melbourne and the Blue Mountains – all in one week!
WHY RAYMOND CROWE’S ACT IS SO POPULAR FOR CORPORATE EVENTS?
- His performance provokes a variety of emotions. Raymond’s act translates extremely well to corporate functions due to his ability to reach people on a number of levels through his cheeky but subtle humour, ability to tug at people’s heartstrings, gentle audience participation and the unadulterated fun he delivers.
- He takes his audience on a journey. Raymond has proven time after time his ability to transport the audience away from the world of deadlines and targets and leave them energised, uplifted, and often deeply moved.
- His show works equally well for small or large audiences. Raymond is as comfortable performing for intimate gatherings as he is in front of thousands of people and can tailor his show to be 10 minutes or up to an hour in length. His signature piece “The Shadows” can be performed anywhere from a small room to the side of a skyscraper. When Raymond borrows a sports jacket from an audience member and brings it incredibly to life, shocked gasps are always heard regardless of the audience size.
Raymond is able to tailor his performance to suit product launches, award ceremonies, gala night entertainment or corporate team building exercises.
- The opportunity to offer access to a world class act. What better way to show employees they are valued than incorporating an entertainer who is known as one of the very best specialty acts from around the world?
- No complicated AV requirements. Raymond’s set up needs are extremely simple which takes the pressure off behind the scenes.
“Physical and vocal illusions that balance magic with homespun wisdom, whimsy and humanity.”
Sydney Morning Herald
“Raymond Crowe is a real talent. I’m not used to that - I work in television.”
“Thanks Raymond - that was just wonderful.”
“The Royal Variety prides it’s self on finding the very best and up to date specialty acts - such as Raymond Crowe.”
The Royal Variety Performance UK
“He is our favourite Unusualist.”
Adam Hills - Spicks & Specks
“I love your stuff.”
“What a refreshing entertainer. After a long day of Power Point presentations and various business speakers, Ray gave everyone the opportunity to laugh out loud. His work with the audience was fantastic - fun, clean and so entertaining. The shadow puppetry at the end was absolutely mind-blowing. Put simply, Ray was awesome.”